Elizabeth Igler Whitesides
1910 – 1995
Elizabeth Igler Whitesides was the first female solicitor for the Village of Glendale. Descended from an original resident of the village, she attended the Congress Avenue school and graduated from the Glendale Female College in 1927. At the age of 18, Elizabeth enrolled at the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where she served on the Law Review. She graduated at the top of her class in 1932 and was elected to The Order of the Coif, the legal scholastic honor society.
Following graduation, Elizabeth become one of the few practicing female attorneys in Greater Cincinnati in the 1930’s. She served in Columbus as special assistant to Charles Sawyer, Lt. Governor of the State of Ohio, and clerked for the Honorable Howard Bevis, Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court. She became Solicitor for the Village of Glendale in 1934.
In 1935, she married Lawson E. Whitesides, a Procter & Gamble executive. After her marriage, she scaled back her legal practice but remained an active attorney. She was a member of the Ohio State Bar Association for more than 60 years and admitted to practice in numerous courts, including the US Supreme Court.