Procters in Glendale

The Procters in Glendale

 
 The development of Glendale had begun ten years earlier as America’s first planned railroad commuter town. It offered rail access to Ivorydale and downtown and was supposedly safe from cholera, a disease that ravaged crowded cities.  W. A. Procter and his wife, Charlotte Elizabeth (1838-1903), had five children and left an indelible mark on Glendale. Their children were: Marianna who married Mortimer Mathews, Wm. Cooper who married Jane Elizabeth Johnston, Olivia who married Rev. Cleveland Benedict, Elsie who married Rev. Paul Matthews, and Bessie who married Ralph Rogan. All of these couples lived in Glendale at least for a while.
 Wm._A._Procter_c1880a

Left to right, back row: Marianna Matthews (married to Mortimer), Wm. Cooper Procter, Jane (Jean) Johnston Procter (Married to Wm. Cooper), Olivia Benedict, Cleveland Benedict, Bessie Rogan, Elsie Matthews (Married to Rev. Paul). On steps left to right: Ralph Rogan, Rev. Paul Matthews, Mortimer Matthews
Left to right, back row: Marianna Matthews (married to Mortimer), Wm. Cooper Procter, Jane (Jean) Johnston Procter (Married to Wm. Cooper), Olivia Benedict, Cleveland Benedict, Bessie Rogan, Elsie Matthews (Married to Rev. Paul).
On steps left to right: Ralph Rogan, Rev. Paul Matthews, Mortimer Matthews

Charlotte_Elizabeth_Jackson_Procter1
Charlotte Elizabeth (1838-1903)

Procter_Compound
In 1861 William Alexander Procter, son of the founding partner, bought multiple acres, built a beautiful home and moved from downtown Cincinnati to Glendale.

WCP_House
The Woodlands

Procter_Fountain
Always thinking of the village, W.A. contributed this fountain to refresh humans and horses in 1894.

The_Oaks
Their home, “The Oaks”, was a large frame house with all of the amenities of country living.
Fountain_Plaque
In 1915 the Procter children donated the stone bell tower, new bells and a clock for the parish dedicated to their parents.

Olivia_House
The Olivia House, used for ancillary activities at Christ Church, was donated by Mr. Procter in honor of his mother in 1889.
 In 1915 the Procter children donated the stone bell tower, new bells and a clock for the parish dedicated to their parents.

bell_tower_plaque
Bell Tower Plaque

WAP_Church_Plaque
William A. Procter Plaque
 Olivia_Plaque1

Bell_Plaque
Bell Plaque

Cc_Bell_Tower
Bell Tower

Original Rectory
Original Rectory

Second rectory
Second Rectory
When W. A.’s daughter, Olivia, married Rev. Cleveland Benedict and became the rector of Christ Church, Mr. Procter had the original rectory; a large frame building built in 1875, moved down the street to 940 Forest in 1903 and financed the building of a new stone rectory.