Cecilia McLaren DeGuere
1917 – 1995
Cecilia McLaren DeGuere became the first woman member of Glendale Council, in 1954. A prominent Glendale clubwoman and civic leader, she was appointed by Mayor James Carruthers to succeed Roland W. Richardson.
Born in Glendale to John Douglas McLaren and Frances Sherman Rockwell McLaren, Cecilia attended Hillsdale School and the University of Wisconsin. In her youth, she was appreciated for having “loads of personality.”
In 1941, she married Philip DeGuere, a Procter & Gamble industrial engineer. They lived in Glendale and had a son, Philip, Jr.
An accomplished athlete, Cecilia was one of the Midwest’s top-ranked tennis players and appeared in tournaments all over the country.
She was the founder and president of Glendale Youth Sports and established the Knot Hole Baseball League. She also started the “farm system,” which enabled boys too young or inexperienced for the regular Knot Hole leagues to prepare them for future play.